Expression Australia understands and appreciates that you are concerned about your privacy and about the confidentiality and security of information we may gain about you.
We are committed to protecting the privacy of personal information that we collect. We will deal with personal information in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) ("Act"). And the National Privacy Principles set out in Schedule 3 of the Act.
In addition to the provisions of this Policy, we may also make specific and additional privacy statements for certain sections of the Websites. Where the provisions of this Policy and the other statement are inconsistent, the specific and additional statement will prevail.
Words in this Policy that are spelt with initial capitalised letters have particular meanings. Their meanings are set out either in the body of this document or in the Expression Australia e-commerce terms.
What is personal information?
In summary, “personal information” is information or an opinion, in any form, about an individual that identifies the individual, or from which his or her identity can reasonably be ascertained.
What sort of information do we collect?
There are three categories of information that we may collect about you:
- personal information that you provide to us when you or someone else in your organisation is dealing with us via the Websites, by telephone or fax or in person, whether completing an on-line application, survey or purchasing a Product;
- information, generated by our computer system, which tracks traffic on the Websites (see the further information below under “Cookies”), eg time spent on each page (“Web analytics”); and
- where you access a Third Party’s website through the Websites, to the extent that those third parties collect personal information provided by you or Cookies and the third party provides that information to us under our agreement with them.
Some personal information which we collect is “sensitive information”. Sensitive Information is defined in the Act but relevantly includes health information about an individual. Your sensitive information will be used and disclosed only for the primary purpose for which it was provided or a directly related secondary purpose, unless
- you agree to the proposed use or disclosure;
- the collection of that information is specifically authorised by law;
- the collection is necessary to lessen a serious or imminent threat to your health or safety or the health or safety of another person; or
- the collection of the information is necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of a legal claim.
For certain Expression Australia Website services to operate, we need to collect your IP address. Your IP Address is the identifier for your computer when you are using the Internet.
If at any stage you cancel your dealing with us prior to submitting your application, survey or Order, the information you have entered up to that point will be automatically deleted.
How do we use your personal information?
We may use your personal information in the following ways:
- if you are, or an organisation who you represent is, obtaining services from us, we may need to use your personal information to:
- verify your identity; and/or
- conduct, or arrange for a third party to conduct, credit and fraud checks;
- to respond to your needs and assist you or your organisation to apply to receive Products from us;
- to provide you or your organisation with Products and to administer those Products;
- to obtain information from you to research and improve our Products and develop new Products;
- to market and promote our Products to you or your organisation (including by phone, email, sms, MMS and direct mail); and
- for any purpose that is authorised or required by law.
Where you provide personal information to us that we intend to share with third parties, we will not share any information that enables you to be identified without first obtaining your consent.
Your continued use of our Websites is consent to contacting you with marketing and promotional messages and material. If you do not want to be contacted, please advise us using one of the methods set out below under “How to contact us”.
How do we handle email?
We will preserve the content of any email that you send us, if we believe that we have a legal or operational requirement to do so. Your email message may be monitored by Expression Australia employees for security issues including where email abuse is suspected. Any email from us to you may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.
When do we disclose your personal information?
We may disclose your personal information to organisations and individuals outside of Expression Australia if you have asked us to do so and/or in the course of using the information for the purposes set out above. These individuals and organisations could include those that carry out the following functions for us:
- contacting you about Products that we are providing to you or your organisation;
- responding to your questions;
- assessing applications that you submit to us;
- our mailing services;
- billing and debt-recovery;
- verifying your identity;
- conducting credit and fraud checks
- installing, operating, maintaining and repairing our information technology services, including the Websites;
- providing us with legal and accounting advice and other professional services;
- providing us with marketing and promotional services and market research;
- conducting academic and commercial research to better understand issues associated with hearing loss and ways of improving the Products we offer; and
- analysing use of the Websites
We may also disclose your information where required or directed to do so by law..
Where we disclose your information for the purpose of conducting research, we will describe the further privacy procedures relevant to the proposed use as a schedule to this Policy.
We store your IP Address and other Web Analytics for security and audit purposes. These Web Analytics may also be used by us or released to a third party where we consider that there are security issues or inappropriate behaviour or fraud, such as unauthorised access to your or our computer systems or suspected fraudulent transactions.
Accessing your personal information
You have a general right to access your personal information. However, as provided in the Act we may refuse you access to the extent that we are required to do so or are authorised under the applicable provisions of any law of the Commonwealth that provides for access by persons to documents. For security or operational reasons, you may be required to apply in writing before we will give you access to your personal information. We may charge a fee for retrieving your personal information and providing it to you.
Accuracy and security of the personal information that we hold
We take reasonable steps to make sure that the personal information that we collect is accurate, up to date and complete. Please contact us if you believe that the personal information that we hold about you is inaccurate, incomplete or out-of-date, and we will take reasonable steps to correct the information if we agree that it is inaccurate. If we do not agree, we will advise you accordingly and you may request that we attach a statement to the information noting your disagreement.
We also take reasonable steps to protect personal information that we hold from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
A "cookie" is a small text file placed on your computer when you access a web page server. Cookies are frequently used as identifiers of computers that have accessed a web site.
- to allocate an identification number to your Internet browser;
- to determine if you have previously visited some of our programs;
- to identify pages you have accessed and Third Party websites you have accessed; and
- for security purposes.
- applications; and
We reserve the right to change this Policy from time to time to reflect changes in our business requirements and changes in the law. Changes will be updated in this Policy on the Websites, so you should check periodically to make sure that you are aware of the most recent version.
Linked third party websites
Expression Australia may also offer services on websites owned or hosted by third parties. In these circumstances, where Expression Australia offers these services subject to this Policy, express reference to the Policy will be made on those websites.
How secure is information that you send to Expression Australia
If your browser is suitably configured, it will advise you whether the information you send us will be “secure” (encrypted) or “not secure” (unencrypted). If “secure” transmission is indicated, Expression Australia currently uses 128 bit SSL encryption.
Despite these descriptions, unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed as secure. Accordingly, although we seek to protect such information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us or from our online products or services. Accordingly, any transmission of information is at your risk. Once we receive your transmission, we take reasonable steps to preserve the security of the information in our own systems.
How to contact us
If you believe that we have failed to comply with this Policy, or if you have any other enquiry about the personal information that we have collected from you, you should contact us using the one of the following methods:
Physical Address: Level 4, 340 Albert Street East Melbourne VIC 3002
TTY. +61 3 9473 1199 or TTY: 1300 780 235 Toll free for country callers
Telephone. +61 3 9473 1111 or 1300 780 225 Toll free for country callers
Fax. +61 3 9473 1122
Version 1.1 - August 2012
Personal information entered into surveys on the Websites and Web Analytics (“Project Information”) will be used in a research project entitled ”Evaluating Easier Listening online” (Project). The Project aims to understand whether the online “Easier Listening program” helps users to accept and live with their hearing loss, as well as identify ways for improving the Websites.
Project Information will not be used or disclosed without your consent. If you do not wish to consent to your Project Information being used in the Project you must click the ‘opt out’ button. Your consent will be taken where you proceed with your application after being shown the “opt out” option and you do not click it.
If you consent to participate in the Project you also consent to being contacted in the future to conduct follow-up research and to consider whether you would be interested in participating in other research.
Expression Australia will provide the researchers with “a de-identified copy” of Project Information. “De-identified” data is information from which you cannot be identified. The information will be analysed by the researchers and reported in presentations and publications. No individual participant will be identified in any presentation or publication. The data will be kept securely for 5 years after publication.
If you are concerned about any part of the Project, you can contact the Human Research Ethics Committee, Human Ethics Officer at The Australian National University as follows:
The Secretary, Human Research Ethics Committee
The Australian National University
ACT, 0200, Australia.
Phone: (61-2) 6125 7945